Eternal Allied
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

A Proposition: Character Classes

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Toast
Page of Blood
Page of Blood
Toast

Male

Permanent Name : Toast
Custom Title : Twenty One Toasters
Activity Points : 64315

A Proposition: Character Classes Empty
PostSubject: A Proposition: Character Classes   A Proposition: Character Classes I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 4:24 am

Before we start, this was initially something I created for the Collective RPs, but I think this might actually be beneficial for the whole RP.

This is not a rigid system, this is just to group together characters of a similar power level for the sake of RPs. A lot of people try to make RPs and use very general terms like "Low-Powered" characters, but that's entirely subjective. This proposed system gives every power a classification, and in turn, every character an overall Class.

Classes are not static - they change and evolve with the character. A Class 3 doesn't have to be one forever; they can in time become a Class 9 or 10 if they want to. Again, this is just to group together characters of a similar power level for the more easy balancing of power within RPs. I know a few people here who don't RP often or even at all just because everybody's character is "wtfhax". This will also help fix that problem, I think.

This thread will be for discussion of the proposed classes and what they allow. I've got a general outline already which will be within the spoiler, and we can discuss things from there; if you think of something I didn't, bring it up, ask questions, propose the moving of some abilities to different classes, etc. etc.

Without further ado:

Spoiler:

Last edited by Aniki on Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://monsieurtoast.tumblr.com/
Delta
is awesome
Delta

Male

Staff Title : The Great Zagini
Activity Points : 55795

PostSubject: Re: A Proposition: Character Classes   A Proposition: Character Classes I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 4:28 am

Meh I feel like the classes are high-end heavy. As in the difference in power level gets smaller and smaller between classes the higher you go. The high end could be consolidated a bit and the lower end expanded upon more.
Back to top Go down
Toast
Page of Blood
Page of Blood
Toast

Male

PostSubject: Re: A Proposition: Character Classes   A Proposition: Character Classes I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 4:36 am

That's typically how it is with everything.

The lower classes have less things because they're for weaker characters that can't do many things, and the higher you get in the classes, the less and less there is to learn or gain, so there's less and less variation between. At that point it's more about how much they can do with the abilities they have. Someone with Space-Time manipulation who can create Black Holes is more powerful than one with the same ability who can't create Black Holes, for example.
Back to top Go down
Xellious Noon
Veteran Roleplayer
Xellious Noon

Male

Location : Poland, being anti-average and spreading a high IQ aura around me
Permanent Name : Bookman
Custom Title : Mr. Peace = Oh Lord, lend me patience to stand the randomness....
Activity Points : 138953

PostSubject: Re: A Proposition: Character Classes   A Proposition: Character Classes I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 1:08 pm

Nope, this is a balancing issue. And there's a simple way to solve this. It's just what I've proposed before.

You put up the ranks 1 to 10, with their intended power levels. And then you put up all the different powers in alphabetical order, a long list. One person can decide which powers go where but that's subjective; instead everyone can post, assigning a number to each power, saying at which rank(s) the member thinks a given power ought to be classified. And after we compare the results from everyone we can draw results. It may not be totally objective but at least it's democratic.

And some powers, say superstrength, can come as a range of ranks (even 1-10 the widest if it appears at every rank). When voting, if only one rank is given, the power is available from that rank onwards for every higher rank; if a range, then from the lowest rank listed at every rank above it's available in its improved version. Like better psychic powers or better elemental control.

And I agree with Zags that the lowest ranks as they are, they are uninteresting. With the list as it is now I'd make normal human rank 0, rank 1 total what 2 and 3 do, rank 2 get the current rank 4...... and this way populate the lower ranks. But this is just speculation until we go through (or not) with a vote on power placement.

If you don't like the vote idea or just a rigid ranking/class system in general, say so. If not - I'll give this list a good read and post my vote as to which powers go where, those listed and some more ones. If we get 10 votes total or more I think it'll begin to be representative of the RP community we have at EA.

Remember this is your chance to make a difference folks. You always complained how the RPs get dominated by overpowered characters? Well this is a chance to match up heroes and villains at similar power levels for a fair battle. Use the chance you're given.
Back to top Go down
Toast
Page of Blood
Page of Blood
Toast

Male

PostSubject: Re: A Proposition: Character Classes   A Proposition: Character Classes I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 3:46 pm

I think as it is right now - a general skeleton to start with and largely agreed upon - is fine. I'm still allowing a vote for moving, suggesting, and removing of powers, but its good to have an example to start with anyway.
Back to top Go down
OverlordCrimson

OverlordCrimson

Male

Activity Points : 39482

PostSubject: Re: A Proposition: Character Classes   A Proposition: Character Classes I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 8:51 pm

Indeed it is a good start, but there are many cases where certain powers are consolidated while some abilities are just too over-generalized. For example, Reality Manipulation becomes available at Level 7, but thinking about it, low tier characters have access to it as well, albeit it be weak. Reality Manipulation is a very broad term for any number and variable of powers.

In my opinion, in order to assess a character's rating, we have to rate abilities first to determine what class they would fit in. For example, having let's say two characters, one has a Level 10 ability, but only one, while the other has 3 Level 10 abilities. One can reason that they are in no way equals at all.
Back to top Go down
Toast
Page of Blood
Page of Blood
Toast

Male

PostSubject: Re: A Proposition: Character Classes   A Proposition: Character Classes I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 4:25 pm

...That is true, and something I didn't take into account.

On the other hand, Class 10 abilities are classified as being so obscenely powerful, that only another Class 10 or somebody REALLY skilled can actually overcome them. So if a character has even one Class 10 ability, that puts them far above a Class 8 or under almost immediately.

And Reality Manipulation WAS explained a bit when first mentioned at 7: "low-level Reality manipulation, such as the minor changing or otherwise ignoring of physical laws".

Space-Time manipulation is easy enough - its the manipulation of space and time. Reality Manipulation deals with the manipulation of the laws of our universe, what defines our reality... thus the name. Joker uses Reality Manipulation with his Truth-Lie concept, since he can effectively change the laws of physics with a couple words.

The higher in Class they get, the more complex or powerful their manipulation becomes. The only problem I really see is classifying how powerful an ability has to be before its bumped up a rank to "Moderate" or "High" level. Some could be tricky in that regard.

EDIT: I have found the solution. "Half-Classes". Essentially people inbetween two classes; someone who is too strong to remain a 7, and has aspects of an 8, but isn't strong enough to be called an 8, yet, either, thus creating the "7.5" Half-Class. This would fix your problem, too, OC, seeing as somebody with only 1 Class 10 power could be considered a 9.5 rather than a full-fledged 10, despite having one or two aspects of a 10. I will be adding this and the supplementary Class of 0 to the list.
Back to top Go down
Xellious Noon
Veteran Roleplayer
Xellious Noon

Male

Custom Title : Mr. Peace = Oh Lord, lend me patience to stand the randomness....

PostSubject: Re: A Proposition: Character Classes   A Proposition: Character Classes I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 3:14 am

Tricky? Well duh.

But I suppose that if they're tested out in practice in RPs we'll just find out if they work or not. This isn't THAT much different from a topic's first post saying: "no teleporation, dimension travel, reality manipulation, etc." for powers that would disrupt the setting.

Except now.... this one has no IC explanation but puts the limits in OOC. *undecided if that's good or bad*
EDIT: Or in Ryuuki's case, it's the other way around, an IC that stretches for the Collective saga. Well.... we'll find out in practice.

XD Well then, here's my attempt at how I'd see the list. James can use his list all he wants, if and when I make mention of 'class' (rather, rank) in my RPs I'll be referring to this one. I initially wanted to use his list - but since Ryuuki implements it and he has no business watching over others' RPs, it can't hold. So in the end the members will have to put up with multiple lists (if I ever use it after all......)

........ this list took me...... like, a very long time to write. =.= I'm tired after writing it. I might revise it later, but for now, this is what I think of the classes (which I dubbed 'ranks' instead).

Rank 0
Spoiler:

Rank 1
Spoiler:

Rank 2
Spoiler:

Rank 3
Spoiler:

Rank 4
Spoiler:

Rank 5
Spoiler:

Rank 6
Spoiler:

Rank 7
Spoiler:

Rank 8
Spoiler:

Rank 9
Spoiler:

Rank 10
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Toast
Page of Blood
Page of Blood
Toast

Male

PostSubject: Re: A Proposition: Character Classes   A Proposition: Character Classes I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 3:27 am

Ryuuki won't be implementing it. This is still a universal proposition.

Regardless, your list is interesting... though I don't find the concept of your Rank 10 to be necessary.
Back to top Go down
OverlordCrimson

OverlordCrimson

Male

Activity Points : 39482

PostSubject: Re: A Proposition: Character Classes   A Proposition: Character Classes I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 3:33 am

Tabrias: I love it. *Dances*

XDDD Rank 10 is us, dood. Its a rather nice gesture. After all, we are the authors of these stories.
Back to top Go down
Toast
Page of Blood
Page of Blood
Toast

Male

PostSubject: Re: A Proposition: Character Classes   A Proposition: Character Classes I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 3:37 am

Haha. Still, it just doesn't seem necessary to me.
Back to top Go down
Xellious Noon
Veteran Roleplayer
Xellious Noon

Male

PostSubject: Re: A Proposition: Character Classes   A Proposition: Character Classes I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 3:40 am

I guess that's a matter of taste.... *nods* It gets us started on something. If more people voice their opinions and start to list how they see it, we might reach a general agreement. And I'd have incentive to update this list.
Back to top Go down
Toast
Page of Blood
Page of Blood
Toast

Male

PostSubject: Re: A Proposition: Character Classes   A Proposition: Character Classes I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 3:46 am

Mm. I know Python didn't have much of a problem with my list, and that seems to have been the general consensus. With two lists now, comparisons can be drawn, and changes can be made, and the lists can be merged to form a more perfect one. That, or people can just choose to stick with one or the other *shrug*
Back to top Go down
Xellious Noon
Veteran Roleplayer
Xellious Noon

Male

PostSubject: Re: A Proposition: Character Classes   A Proposition: Character Classes I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 4:22 am

Which is the point. XD If Python and Guy and others were like 'yeah whatever' then it's no surprise they'd get along. But I do wonder what changes, if any, they'd make if they got down to this seriously enough.

After all they'll end up in an RPing environment they affect. If they're gonna complain then they'd better do something now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Proposition: Character Classes   A Proposition: Character Classes I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A Proposition: Character Classes
Page 1 of 1