Eternal Allied
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Nightshade Dilemma(Trials of darkness remake. New name, revamped concept)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Necrolance

Necrolance

Male

Location : Out sailing the seas looking for rum with my jar of dirt.
Permanent Name : Necrolance
Custom Title : Why is the Rum gone?
Activity Points : 46141

The Nightshade Dilemma(Trials of darkness remake. New name, revamped concept) Empty
PostSubject: The Nightshade Dilemma(Trials of darkness remake. New name, revamped concept)   The Nightshade Dilemma(Trials of darkness remake. New name, revamped concept) I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 4:06 am

As some have known before, I once started(and abandoned due to, erm... inexperience back then) a RP called the Trials of Darkness. For reference.

I have done a lot of thinking, and I have decided... The concept was good, but not good enough. It needed work. Refinement. And the story wasn't too refined. Why were they doing these trials? To get rid of the eternal darkness, right? But there wasn't much beyond that. No cause, no REASON. So I'm revamping the story, giving it a nice shiny coat of paint and new carpeting. I didn't do so well the first time because I was on my own on the story. So, I ask that if this does get underway, someone assists me in 'GM'ing the RP. If you're interested, then say so. I'll discuss it with you via MSN or PM, and we'll see if it'll work out. As for how the character signup is going to work out... It remains mostly unchanged.

Player Character-

In-Game Name:
Class(Make it up, limit is your imagination... Just no godlike stuff!):
Class Description(Optional, but recommended. We'd be in the dark about your class otherwise):
Appearance:
Starting Weapon:

Partner-

Name:
AI or Player(If it's going to be a second character owned by you, or someone else's):
Class:
Class Description:
Appearance:
Starting Weapon:

I will add to it and adjust as needed, and this is still a work in a progress. The prologue/game trailer dialog thing is coming soon. Mind's a bit foggy so I can't focus well enough. Had enough trouble just typing this up. In any case, I'm going to try to do better than last time.

Last edited by Necrolance on Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Xellious Noon
Veteran Roleplayer
Xellious Noon

Male

Location : Poland, being anti-average and spreading a high IQ aura around me
Permanent Name : Bookman
Custom Title : Mr. Peace = Oh Lord, lend me patience to stand the randomness....
Activity Points : 138688

The Nightshade Dilemma(Trials of darkness remake. New name, revamped concept) Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Nightshade Dilemma(Trials of darkness remake. New name, revamped concept)   The Nightshade Dilemma(Trials of darkness remake. New name, revamped concept) I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 9:10 am

I'm always willing to give it a try. And I should have some spare time to lend a hand, so, catch me on MSN when we're on together. At least it'll help you clarify some ideas on it.

This has potential. But a lot of things must be decided still... I wonder if SX can show interest in this? He'd definitely offer a lot of constructive criticism, I'm sure.
Back to top Go down
ThomasWindar
Game Master (RP GM)
ThomasWindar

Male

Custom Title : I still exist!
Activity Points : 42481

PostSubject: Re: The Nightshade Dilemma(Trials of darkness remake. New name, revamped concept)   The Nightshade Dilemma(Trials of darkness remake. New name, revamped concept) I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 11:02 am

Don't mind me being rude and jumping into "what should be done". I'm always an ass.

Anyway, unto the "Constructive Criticism" that Book suggested I will do:

1) Every time the word RPG comes into play, we should notice that the most vital part is the story. In that reference topic you suggested that the events happen in a game world. Well, we can actually build upon that, but you have to take into consideration the benefits and consequences of such a decision.

First of all, in a game, there is no sense of danger whatsoever. A dead character will respawn in the nearest city. Also, linking a "grave danger to the real world" coming from a game is... well, weird. It can do the trick, but the story becomes rather funky since if the government would hear about a game doing evil, the company would be forced to shut it down. (Don't bring up .Hack here. Their story does only threaten players health and not world destruction or stuff.)

Nevertheless a game-world gives us a lot to work with. For example, hackers. The players could have skills that hack the game and allow various special effects that cannot be used normally.

Anyway, you still have to prepare at least a rough sketch of how the RP world will be handled and in what setting so I shall be waiting for that.

2) There must be something unique in the system. Something that links all characters together in a way. How should I put this... Well, for example in the old Master Gear, everyone was collecting parts and ST points. Creating gear was a common there. In the Royal Dreaming Academy (wonder if someone remembers that thing still) everyone had a Dreamer that would teach them special spells. In video games for example, Megaman always received "something" from an enemy boss. Practically every Megaman game you check up has this "acquire boss power, utilize it" in many different ways, but the concept remains somehow the same, no matter if it is Battlechip data, boss weapon, special boss skill or transforming directly into the boss.

The RP system also must possess some unique style, because without it, a simple D&D rulebook is enough to copy the RP. You have to design that special "something".

3) Rules for losing. Seriously I cannot stress this enough. There MUST be some rule under which the players CAN lose. Player HP and rolling dices to check if the character hit or got hit is probably the easiest solution abused in many RP systems because it grants this "can lose" situation.

Anyway, if the players "must agree to get hit" then the RP automatically becomes easy and boring. There must be rules that enforce a hit for some reason. It can be dice rolls, but you can as much as telegraph enemy attacks that if ignored will result in a slaughter. Hm... if you play for example Bayonetta, you will notice this rule. Every enemy does "something" before executing an attack. If you just attack, you will get hit, but if you notice the signs and dodge, you avoid damage. Anyway, this rule also can be passed down to written systems, but we switch reflexes to player strategy then.

So yeah... Rules for getting hit and dying. The player "choice" must be made with the character actions and not by player content whether he "wants to get hit". If you won't do that, the game will quickly becomes boring since it will lack any danger and thus a challenge to survive.

4) Good enemies.

Let me rephrase this.

Enemies so cool that fighting them is not only a challenge but a pleasure.

Most successful games have great enemy design. If you are making an RPG, creating enemies is a very important part of the game. It's not just creating a boss and the rest is some undefined cannon-fodder that dies from 1 hit. Enemies must have their own tactics when fighting and utilize tricks that only they can use.

As well as attacks, you must consider their defenses and critical spots. As an example, lemme use one Boss I test-created lately, Grafwitnir.

Grafwitnir has a set "AI" or should I say "how the GM should use him". He has a basic string of attacks he repeats for solo and multiple targets, defenses that interrupt the pattern for a moment to react to the enemy offense + a rage mode. The Rage Mode now has a huge downfall. In Rage, he uses his biggest AoE three times in a row and falls from lack of energy. During that time he can be mercilessly slaughtered by the players.

Now, when creating enemies you have to balance them out with weakness. If they have a powerful attack, it either has a charge up time or renders them weak afterwards and vulnerable to attacks. It comes with experience really.

So.... yeah. That's my input.
Back to top Go down
Necrolance

Necrolance

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Nightshade Dilemma(Trials of darkness remake. New name, revamped concept)   The Nightshade Dilemma(Trials of darkness remake. New name, revamped concept) I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 9:10 pm

At the moment, I am still mulling over the in-game world and zones will be named. The more detailed/less dramatic version of the story so far is that the planet, (Name not decided), is a very unique planet. One with virtually every possible biome. Volcano, forest, swamp, ocean, etc. It's a world full of magic. But one day, one horrible day, a curse befell the planet. All save for the core(The source of all magical energy on the planet) and the Hub, the only major city on the planet, became engulfed in a void and all the 'biomes', now named realms, were separated. Eventually a way was found to reconnect the realms with the Hub by various portals. But that only temporarily fixes things. The planet itself needs to be repaired.

In order to do that, adventurers have to go through the portals and fix each realm. Each is shrouded in darkness, a perpetual night. The players have to find a way to lift the shroud on each realm and reattach it to the planet. The monsters change per realm, and the players only see their party's progress. Those that decide to group together in the first realm will be linked in their storyline, and that means they will see the planet's revitalization from their own actions, nobody else's. Areas ARE possible to be repeated for training, but clearing it again will not reap the same reward as the first time. I'm still working on it.

As for the similarities to other concepts, it's more like code lyoko and less like Dot Hack. You're virtualized completely into the game. So no lag. And pain is still felt. IF you get poisoned, you feel the agonizing pain. If you get burned, you feel the heat. If you get frozen solid, you feel the cold. And so on. Basically, it's like real life. The realism makes you NOT want to die. Because you'd feel it all. But you also feel the rush of killing wave after wave of monsters. And you can make your own gear too, but it's less complex with master gear. You can enchant basic equipment with certain loot from monsters and certain realms with treasure-filled dungeons.

And that's all I have so far.
Back to top Go down
Xellious Noon
Veteran Roleplayer
Xellious Noon

Male

Custom Title : Mr. Peace = Oh Lord, lend me patience to stand the randomness....

PostSubject: Re: The Nightshade Dilemma(Trials of darkness remake. New name, revamped concept)   The Nightshade Dilemma(Trials of darkness remake. New name, revamped concept) I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2011 4:49 pm

It looks okay the way it is now. Really.

Will you make your own hero or focus solely on leading the adventure? That sort of focus is normally recommended, but.... you know, if there'd be not enough players, then... yeah.

Plus that could serve as a model for others.
Back to top Go down
Necrolance

Necrolance

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Nightshade Dilemma(Trials of darkness remake. New name, revamped concept)   The Nightshade Dilemma(Trials of darkness remake. New name, revamped concept) I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 3:35 am

I'm most likely going to make my own hero. My old character isn't too great anymore. And so I must also come up with a new character class, name, and so on. I'll work on it a bit later. I'm drawing a major blank at the moment for that. I'll work on the RP's concept first.
Back to top Go down
Xellious Noon
Veteran Roleplayer
Xellious Noon

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Nightshade Dilemma(Trials of darkness remake. New name, revamped concept)   The Nightshade Dilemma(Trials of darkness remake. New name, revamped concept) I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 7:06 pm

Well, at least I decided by now. OvO

Player Character-

In-Game Name: Rafael
Class: Paladin
Class Description: Team player and the Party's shield, with some White Magic and excellent defenses, both physical and magical, but low damage output.
Appearance: Has blonde hair, white armor and a blue cape, holding a silver sword and U-shaped, blue shield with a floral pattern on it.
Bio: (is this one really necessary?)
Starting Weapon: Sword & Shield

Partner-

Name: ??
Player: Elie-chan
Class: ??
Back to top Go down
Celestia Ludenberg

Celestia Ludenberg

Female

Permanent Name : Elie Inverse
Custom Title : Ultimate Musician
Activity Points : 109533

PostSubject: Re: The Nightshade Dilemma(Trials of darkness remake. New name, revamped concept)   The Nightshade Dilemma(Trials of darkness remake. New name, revamped concept) I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 7:52 pm

I think I'm going to join this... I just need some time to make my character. It should be fun.
Back to top Go down
Necrolance

Necrolance

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Nightshade Dilemma(Trials of darkness remake. New name, revamped concept)   The Nightshade Dilemma(Trials of darkness remake. New name, revamped concept) I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 8:04 pm

Now that I do think on it, the bio isn't to necessary. I'll remove that from the character sheet. It seems kinda silly now.
Back to top Go down
Celestia Ludenberg

Celestia Ludenberg

Female

Permanent Name : Elie Inverse
Custom Title : Ultimate Musician
Activity Points : 109533

PostSubject: Re: The Nightshade Dilemma(Trials of darkness remake. New name, revamped concept)   The Nightshade Dilemma(Trials of darkness remake. New name, revamped concept) I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 8:07 pm

Player Character-

In-Game Name: Beatrix
Class: Sorceress
Class Description: Uses Black Magic mostly, and a few Elemental Shamanist spells too. More on the aggressive stance, she's rather good with long range attacks, much less in melee.
Appearance: Raven black hair - amber eyes, with a golden armor that covers mostly back and shoulders, partly covering her chest area and leaving her belly out. Red armored skirt, boots and gauntlets, and a black cape too.
Starting Weapon: A long golden staff with a large red ruby gem at the end, resembling a queen's sceptre.

Partner-

(Kind of obvious it's going to be Book-kun's chara XD)
Back to top Go down
Necrolance

Necrolance

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Nightshade Dilemma(Trials of darkness remake. New name, revamped concept)   The Nightshade Dilemma(Trials of darkness remake. New name, revamped concept) I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 9:22 pm

I'm working on my own character at the moment, and will post it when I feel it's complete enough. I'm also working on the 'prologue story' too. I said before that it's a world full of magic. But technology is there. It's fairly simple technology though. Like magic-fueled forges to enchant equipment, and the technology and magic used to make the portals to each realm.

And I did come up with a name for the planet and the system. Silba X29, a 3-planet system with a deadly-hot white sun. The only planet that is relevant is Praxma, the other two are basically just dead rocks. I'll reveal more when the story is finalized. I just felt that this information was necessary to be revealed.
Back to top Go down
ThomasWindar
Game Master (RP GM)
ThomasWindar

Male

Custom Title : I still exist!
Activity Points : 42481

PostSubject: Re: The Nightshade Dilemma(Trials of darkness remake. New name, revamped concept)   The Nightshade Dilemma(Trials of darkness remake. New name, revamped concept) I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 10:05 am

I'll be joining in this too.

Player Character-

In-Game Name: Curia Chasea
Class: Ice Brawler
Class Description: Fights mainly with the use of his own body. Grabs the opponent and throws him, twists his arms, legs, neck. Basically a class that latches onto an enemy and squeezes the life out of them. Additionally ice magic can be used to support damage dealing and grant some very minor AoE and Crowd Control abilities.
Appearance: (Let's do this stuff in a moment.)
Bio: (is this one really necessary?)
Starting Weapon: Sharpened metal nails on the hands.

I'm interested how this RP will work out.
Back to top Go down
Necrolance

Necrolance

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Nightshade Dilemma(Trials of darkness remake. New name, revamped concept)   The Nightshade Dilemma(Trials of darkness remake. New name, revamped concept) I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 5:46 am

This is what I have so far for my character:

In-Game Name: Vincent
Class: Flurry Thief
Class Description: Fast and deadly. Uses enchanted throwing knives for close combat and long range fighting, and for long-range spellcasting. Has less armor for more maneuverability, making this class easily crippled by heavy strikes... If they manage to hit.
Appearance: Short black spiked hair, green eyes. Wears a black cloak, but under that cloak is some dark leather armor, covering his vital areas while leaving room to move. He has knife slots hidden throughout his armor, in his sleeves, his legs... Everywhere.
Starting Weapon:Throwing knives like these.
Spoiler:

Partner- No partner.

For Book and Thomas... This class operates slightly like Thief from grand chase. It's got more magic capability and more speed. I still need to work on the appearance, and the class name. I can see Vincent, in my head, using a move similar to Raven Walker, without the bomb tags, or as a close ranged move. It's still incomplete, but I'm working on it.

Last edited by Necrolance on Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Cybeast Worshipper
Sexy Beast
Sexy Beast
Cybeast Worshipper

Male

Staff Title : <3
Custom Title : Wolf Jawed Guardian of the Iroquois.
Activity Points : 71027

PostSubject: Re: The Nightshade Dilemma(Trials of darkness remake. New name, revamped concept)   The Nightshade Dilemma(Trials of darkness remake. New name, revamped concept) I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 6:25 am

I'll drop one in when I have some free time.
Back to top Go down
Cybeast Worshipper
Sexy Beast
Sexy Beast
Cybeast Worshipper

Male

Staff Title : <3
Custom Title : Wolf Jawed Guardian of the Iroquois.
Activity Points : 71027

PostSubject: Re: The Nightshade Dilemma(Trials of darkness remake. New name, revamped concept)   The Nightshade Dilemma(Trials of darkness remake. New name, revamped concept) I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2011 7:52 pm

Player Character-

In-Game Name: Devon
Class: Druid
Class Description: Nature magic and transformation into various animals.
Appearance: (I'll fill this in at a later date; gonna get the main stuff in)
Starting Weapon: (And this... I'll need to deliberate)

Partner: We shall see...
Back to top Go down
Necrolance

Necrolance

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Nightshade Dilemma(Trials of darkness remake. New name, revamped concept)   The Nightshade Dilemma(Trials of darkness remake. New name, revamped concept) I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 6:23 am

I believe the preparations are almost complete for the start of the RP. All we need now is for Kev to finish his character, and for me and book to work out one or two more things. One thing I'm concerned about is the 'leveling'. Seeing as how there's no visible GUI like a normal game, you can't see what level you are. Your character will FEEL the increase of power from a level-up, but they won't see any visible level. It'll be displayed OOCly. I'll make another post to notify that it's all set. Though if there's anyone you want to get in the RP before we start, get them in here before we do start, or they may get lost.
Back to top Go down
Xellious Noon
Veteran Roleplayer
Xellious Noon

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Nightshade Dilemma(Trials of darkness remake. New name, revamped concept)   The Nightshade Dilemma(Trials of darkness remake. New name, revamped concept) I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 5:55 pm

I really do think that this is enough people. Get down to writing the entry topic Necro. XD Introductions tend to eat up time.
Back to top Go down
Necrolance

Necrolance

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Nightshade Dilemma(Trials of darkness remake. New name, revamped concept)   The Nightshade Dilemma(Trials of darkness remake. New name, revamped concept) I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 8:01 pm

Alright then. I'll try to get it done by the end of the day, but we'll see.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Nightshade Dilemma(Trials of darkness remake. New name, revamped concept)   The Nightshade Dilemma(Trials of darkness remake. New name, revamped concept) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Nightshade Dilemma(Trials of darkness remake. New name, revamped concept)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Eternal Allied :: OOC Organization-
Jump to: